Pianist or Organist – Year Round, Part-time
John Wesley United Methodist Church is seeking a part-time, year round Pianist or Organist to continue an existing strong music ministry that is spiritually grounded, dynamic and inspiring. Desired music selections will include sacred, classical, traditional, contemporary, and other genres. Responsibilities and qualifications follow:
RESPONSIBILITIES OF PIANIST/ORGANIST
- Provide music for weddings and funerals – Additional compensation to be paid by the individuals involved for these events.
- Work with the Pastor and the Director of Music Ministries to ensure there is a cohesive and inspiring music ministry for the church.
- If unavailable on any Sunday, the pianist/organist is responsible for arranging a suitable substitute.
- Play hymns and worship music for both 8:30 and 10:30 am Sunday services, to include prelude, postlude, offertory, and other appropriate music.
- Attend choir rehearsals to provide accompaniment.
- Provide accompaniment to soloists, special musicians, and/or small groups who may perform during a worship service. Arrange rehearsal time for these musicians.
- Play for special services throughout the year including, but not limited to: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, and Christmas Eve (three services).
QUALIFICATIONS OF OF PIANIST/ORGANIST
- Possess a strong Christian faith.
- Have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Music.
- The ideal candidate will have skills in both Piano and Organ, but this is not mandatory.
- Have a strong knowledge of sacred music literature and traditions.
- Have the ability to work collaboratively with the Pastor, the Director of Music Ministries, and the Worship Ministry Team.
- Have proficient musical skills to play many forms and styles of music so as to meet the needs of different worship services and different worshiping styles.
To apply for the Pianist/Organist position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Search Committee member: Tom Hoke at TomHoke@att.net.