Methodism has been active in Falmouth since 1807 when people met in private homes. Later, houses of worship were built in Falmouth (called “First Methodist Church,” formed 1811), East Falmouth (formed 1857), West Falmouth (formed 1871) and Woods Hole (formed 1884, closed 1970). In 1934 the East Falmouth Methodist Church burned and subsequently closed, merging its congregation to the First Methodist Church on Main Street. After a large increase in membership, the church on Main Street bough a parcel of land on the corner of Lakeview Avenue and Gifford Street. Construction began in the spring of 1956 and the dedication service was held on Easter, 1958. With the new location, the “First Methodist Church” became “John Wesley Methodist Church.” Over 60 years later, John Wesley United Methodist Church is still standing in the same location with the same spirit. Everyday we strive to keep the faith and make disciples of Jesus Christ by loving God, loving others and serving the world.
Long-time Falmouth resident and member of John Wesley UMC, Bob Dinsmore, sharing the history about Methodism in Falmouth and our church.